Paula Dean’s White Bean Chili
• 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
• 3/4 cup diced onion
• 1 Pound Skinless, Boneless chicken breasts, finely chopped
• 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground white pepper
• Pinch of red pepper flakes
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 Pound collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
• 1 1/2 Cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned)
• 1 Quart low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 15-ounce Cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 Bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
*Light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
1. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil (*In her recipe - I omitted) over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, white pepper and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chiles and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in the beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
4. Transfer the chili to bowls and garnish with light sour cream, chopped tomatoes and/or lime wedges, if desired.
10 servings, 172 Calories each