Fennel and Chicken Flatbread
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops for garnish
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 6 1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- .5 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 500°F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Place pitas on a baking sheet and top each with an equal portion of the chicken and vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fennel tops and serve warm.
Makes four servings, 285 Calories each.