- 1 carrot (medium size grated)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- salt & pepper
- 1 large egg (or two egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- oil (just enough for cooking; oil spray is fine)
- Peel the carrots, grate them coarsely and set them aside. Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put them into a food processor with the garlic, ground spices, salt and pepper.
- Slightly process to obtain a rough paste then add the carrot, egg, and flour and process briefly until evenly mixed but slightly rough.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and divide the mixture into 8.
- Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
Makes eight burgers, 128 Calories each.
*For vegans, combine 1 tablespoon ground flax with 2 tablespoons boiling water (make this separately first, please) to replace the egg (or whatever egg replacement you have — it’s the binding agent here).
I broke mine moving it onto a napkin, but it’s still delish. I didn’t have ground coriander, so I added some taco seasoning and hot sauce to the mix. My roommate likes them too, and he’s a meat and potatoes kind of guy.