General Tso’s Chicken
This one’s a whole meal. I’d add broccoli, edamame, or snow peas though!
- 3/4 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 dried chili, minced
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving. Makes 4 servings, 323 Calories each