Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 12 oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes*
- 1/2 large vidalia onion, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 small apple, peeled and cut into to 2-inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste
- In a large stock pot, combine broth, squash, onion and apple; cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot and reduce heat to low; gently simmer until squash is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches, careful not to splatter hot liquid).
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; serve.
Yields about 12 - 1/2 cup servings, 45 Calories each.
If you’d like, garnish with cream cheese or chives. And don’t be afraid to play with the spices.