Kale Mallung (Sri Lankan Kale and Coconut)
Mallung is a dry dish, so resist the temptation to add too much water.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 12 ounces kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- generous grating of black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt to taste
- Heat a large, deep, non-stick skillet. Add the onions and peppers, and cook, stirring often, until onions soften and turn pink. Add water by the tablespoon if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the kale and a splash (about 1/4 cup) of water, along with the cumin and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring every minute or so, until kale is wilted but still bright green, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coconut and 1 tablespoon lime juice and leave on the heat just long enough to heat through. Check the seasoning and add more lime juice if needed and salt to taste. Serve hot or cold.
Makes four servings, 94 calories each
4.1g total fat, 40.5mg sodium, 13.9g carbohydrates, 3.3g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 3.7g protein,