Recipe: Turkey and Cottage Cheese Crepe
(serves one, although there is an extra crepe)
Had this amazingly delicious crepe for dinner today. The original crepe recipe is supposed to yield 4 crepes but 1) I accidentally doubled the batter amount per crepe, and 2) I like my crepes to have some substance anyway! Though next time, I’d probably use the correct amount.
For crepe (makes 2):
1/5 cup milk, 2%
1/10 cup whole wheat flour
For the rest:
1 large handful mesclun mix (or any other salad greens)
1 tbsp vinegar
2 oz smoked turkey breast
1/5 cup cottage cheese, low-fat
To make the crepe,
1. Beat together the egg and milk in a bowl, and set aside.
2. Sift flour into a separate bowl and then throw in the husks. To this, add the liquid mixture and beat very well.
3. Cover the crepe batter and refrigerate for at least an hour. (Although, it would probably work fine without letting the flour set either.)
4. When ready to make, remove batter from fridge and whisk through well.
5. Lightly grease a non-stick skillet large enough to make your crepe. Turn the heat onto medium.
6. Test the heat by putting a few droplets of batter onto the skillet. When the batter begins to sizzle and set, your pan is hot enough.
7. Whisk through the batter well. Place 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet and quickly, using your other hand, swirl the batter around so that it evenly and thinly covers the entire surface of the skillet.
8. Let the crepe cook until edges are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. There is no need to flip the crepe over.
9. Transfer to a plate once cooked, and continue to cook the rest of the batter.
This makes 2 crepes. For the calorie conscious, it’s 67 calories per crepe!
To prepare your meal,
1. Toss your salad greens with vinegar and set aside.
2. On the ‘inner surface’ of the crepe, aka the side of the crepe that was not cooked, place your slice of turkey. On top of that, place your cottage cheese and then about half of your salad greens, or as much as you can stuff into the crepe.
3. Roll the crepe by first folding up the bottom of your crepe, and then rolling it from right to left. If needed, secure with 1-2 toothpicks. (I needed two!)
4. Serve with the rest of your salad greens, and enjoy! :)
For the calorie conscious, it’s 218 calories, 8.5g fat, 3.6g saturated fat, 14.0g carbs and 21.5g protein for the entire meal!
You can use your extra crepe for anything else, pretty much. But next time I would probably use just 1/8 cup batter instead of 1/4 cup. If you do decide to use 1/8 cup, just halve the calories of the crepe (67 to 33.5!) - but of course, if you’re not a well-seasoned cook you just might break your crepe.
And yes, it was delicious.
- ishakeitstyles likes this
- wingchunfighter2013 reblogged this from celiacanddeiting
- celiacanddeiting reblogged this from want-to-be-fit-too
- inzihair reblogged this from want-to-be-fit-too
- going-to-be-thinner reblogged this from want-to-be-fit-too
- want-to-be-fit-too reblogged this from under400
- glamourous-geek reblogged this from under400
- ofrestlessnights likes this
- dearlydisturbed likes this
- bonesonsurface likes this
- happyandhealthy13 reblogged this from under400
- ducksink likes this
- katdarling likes this
- mrsmuse reblogged this from under400
- kaysto likes this
- shrink2healthy reblogged this from tired-of-excuses
- dgnerd07 likes this
- bridgesandbridges likes this
- btbf likes this
- skinnylily reblogged this from youcanbehealthy
- sekundaer likes this
- raymondace likes this
- youcanbehealthy reblogged this from under400
- almosthanners reblogged this from under400
- discolemonfly reblogged this from under400
- abigbowloffruit reblogged this from under400
- 2bskinnynthin reblogged this from under400
- lauralabonte likes this
- whatmaycome reblogged this from under400 and added:
- repertoire likes this
- tragicsoda likes this
- mae-ashley likes this
- reasoningaside likes this
- mar024 likes this
- peaceloveandhealth likes this
- herr-lucifer likes this
- comeoncollarbones reblogged this from under400
- laviecammecicammeca likes this
- temporarylunacy likes this
- alice-carroll likes this
- bruised-soul likes this
- onefinefeline likes this
- berryhealthy likes this
- thekatecake likes this
- grrrlpoette likes this
- luvmeliketheresnotomorrow likes this
- icing likes this
- ohmycecilia likes this