Mushroom Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or 2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, DIVIDED
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Makes four servings, 180 Calories each.
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise. With a serrated spoon or a knife, scoop out pulp of eggplant, leaving about a 1/2” shell. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place shells on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- While eggplant shells are in oven, finely chop the eggplant pulp.
- In a pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add eggplant pulp, onion, parsley, salt, oregano, garlic and mushrooms. Cover and sauté, stirring occasionally, until eggplant pulp and mushroom are tender — about 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and HALF of the breadcrumbs.
- Turn oven down to 350°F Remove eggplant shells.
- Spoon mixture into eggplant shells.
- Mix remaining half of breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle over filled eggplant.
- Place filled eggplant shells back in the oven bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.